Thursday, November 29, 2007

And the smell is........?

For the past month Kaori has been battling a cold. She's had a runny nose and coughing. Well, I thought it was clearing up about 2 weeks ago when she sounded really congested and her left nostril sounded really stuffy. So...I decided to put her on a nasal decongestant and spray saline up her nose as frequently as possible. Kaori would blow her nose so hard...but nothing ever really came out. Well....around that time (in hindsight) her nose breath was starting to stink. And it was getting worse. We were brushing her teeth and spraying stuff up there....but it wasn't working. Well two Sunday's ago Kaori had a bloody nose during Primary because she kept picking it. We got it stopped and she kept telling me, "Mom, I needs to gots a bandaid". So I told I will give her one when we get home. Well, I give her one and she puts it on her nose...but then takes it off and throws it away. So of course the week of Thanksgiving and up to yesterday she keeps telling me, "Mom I needs to gots a bandaid" and puts her finger up her nose. I tell her, "Kaori, stop picking your nose because then it will bleed....and a bandaid is not going to help your nose. You need to blow it and leave it alone." Yesterday I call the doctor because the smell totally smells....we go in yesterday and the doctor comes in and looks in her nose....she says,"Oh, well, there is something up there! Come look at this." I look and I know exactly what it is....a rolled up Strawberry Shortcake bandaid. I start to laugh because now...I know what kaori has been telling me when she says, "mom I needs to gots a bandaid" and then puts her finger in her nose....for the past 10 DAYs! So it was pulled out, antibiotics were given, and the smell is now gone!

I figure she stuck it up her nose before church or on Saturday....picked it and shoved it up so far during Primary...which caused the bloody nose...and then the next week it's just been up there....housing stinky bacteria. FYI...the bandaid did not look gross when we pulled out. So if your child sounds congested...don't just think cold....it could be a foreign body in the nose.

1 comment:

Mireille said...

Thanks for the tip... and not posting pictures with this one